Peter Bramwell, Consultant
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce
Peter has extensive experience practising in Corporate and Commercial law and the Energy and Resources sector advising Australian and international clients on a wide range of legal issues relating to their business activities.
His depth of experience gained over 40 years in practice makes him well qualified to provide high quality legal services and adds to JRT's strength in providing client focused end-to-end commercial legal solutions.
Peter has previously been a partner at several highly regarded national law firms. He also served as Chairman of Partners for a number of years.
He has been named once again in the 2018 Edition of the Best Lawyers in Australia for his work in Energy, Mining, Natural Resources and Oil & Gas Law.
Peter's work in the Corporate and Commercial area extends to advising on business structures, mergers and acquisitions, negotiation and documenting of complex commercial arrangements and providing legal and strategic advice to directors and senior executives on regulatory, compliance and governance issues. He has acted as a non-executive director and advisor to the Board of the Australian subsidiaries of a number of his clients.
He has also served as non-executive Director and Chair of the Audit Committee of Social Traders Ltd which was established in 2008 to assist start up social enterprises in the not-for-profit sector.
In the Energy and Resources sector his focus has been on upstream petroleum and more recently, the mining sector. His work in these areas spans exploration and production, joint venture arrangements, off-take, sales and procurement arrangements. He also advises on tenement and licensing matters and dealings with regulators and authorities on regulatory and compliance issues.
During his career, Peter has acted in a number of high profile domestic and international disputes in the petroleum sector in relation to royalty entitlements and government-take, some of which spanned a number of jurisdictions and took place over several years. The nature and complexity of these matters required a deep understanding of his clients' business and commercial objectives. It also required an ability to work closely with in-house counsel and senior executives to manage and co-ordinate large teams of lawyers and other service providers to ensure a successful outcome for clients.
- Providing advice to an ASX 100 global mining company and major Australian financial institution in connection with their corporate and social responsibility programs with NGOs and the not-for-profit sector including drafting of relationship and licensing agreements.
- Acting for an Australian group in relation to the acquisition of petroleum royalty interests in tenements offshore Victoria and Western Australia and onshore NT and Queensland for a proposed initial public offering and listing on the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Acting for a UK energy group in connection with its Australian oil shale exploration interests relating to its listing on the London Stock Exchange AIM.
- Advising a major importer and distributor of electricity generation equipment on the application of the newly introduced Carbon Tax to their business and dealing with regulators in connection with registration and licensing requirements.
- Providing advice to a large Australian importer and distributor of consumer products in relation to the application and requirements of the revised consumer warranty provisions under the Australian Consumer Law including drafting revised terms and conditions and extended warranty provisions.
- Acting for a large metal manufacturer in connection with the negotiation and drafting of a long term raw material supply contract.
- Acting for the profitable Australian subsidiary of a large privately owned European metals manufacturer and trader following the insolvency of its global parent following the global financial crisis and during a protracted negotiation process for the sale of the business to a private equity firm.
- Acting for a large Australian privately owned company in connection with the re-organization and restructure of shareholder equity participation to facilitate the exit of shareholders and successful continuation of the business.
Peter is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) and the Association of Independent Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).