James Abbey, Senior Associate
- Bachelor of Laws (with Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts
James Abbey holds a Bachelor of Laws with Honours and a Bachelor of Arts from the Australian National University. He was admitted to practice in 2009. After a stint in a major national personal injury law firm, James moved to Germany where he was hired to assist with the international expansion of a Berlin start-up company.
James joined the JRT Partnership team in 2013 and has achieved significant results for clients in litigious and other commercial matters.
- Representing individuals before high profile regulatory inquiries such as ASIC
- Advising on commercial and private disputes including insurance claims, shareholder and trust disputes, contract, equity and property matters
- Representing business in commercial lease disputes
- Assisting individuals in court and tribunal proceedings including mediation and negotiations
- Advising on and preparing applications and submissions in the Federal and Supreme Courts, County Court, Magistrates’ Court and VCAT
- Drafting Affidavits, statements, statutory declarations for court
- Gathering evidence and analysing material for litigious and non-litigious matters sometimes assisted by sophisticated databases and automated enquiry analytics
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Researching and editing the Contracts module for LexisNexis Practical Guidance
James’s experience and knowledge across a range of practices areas enables him to assist clients achieve the best results in a dispute, whether through litigation or alternative methods.